Note: This article was recovered from former btactic.org site and it is quite outdated although as Zimbra has not yet released any Zimbra Desktop version is quite useful for many people.
Zimbra Desktop based on Google Chrome for Windows has been updated to 0.03 version.
0.03 version improvements:
- Uses a custom directory for Google settings
- Starts even if Google Chrome was already started (Fixes the Google Chrome already opened bug)
- Improved Google Chrome directory detection
- Now if Google Chrome is not installed in user’s directories but in Program Files the Google Chrome exe is detected!
What does Zimbra Desktop based on Google Chrome for Windows exactly does?
- Starts zdesktop service
- Waits for 8 seconds for the zdesktop service to start
- Parses config file with zdesktop special url
- Opens Google Chrome (with custom settings) with the special url as an web app
- Stops zdesktop service when you close the ZD – Chrome window
And the Benefits of the installer are:
- Automatically detects the best location for the files
- Adds ZD – Chrome shortcuts to Start Menu
- Adds ZD – Chrome shortcut to your Desktop
- If you try to open it while it’s already opened it says The service is already running when trying to start zdesktop service again.
- When Google Chrome .exe is not found on user’s directories but in Program Files then you don’t get the custom icon but the application generic one